Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Static vs the Dynamic


We often define success as the accomplishment of a final goal. Some of us reach a level and choose to stay there while others aim for higher or different peaks. No matter what we choose do, we focus on a target and we keep that target at the forefront of our actions. Like many others, I’ve chosen to keep on aiming higher because I always envisioned myself on the next peak. However, I don't believe anymore that this is what truly has been motivating me.


Let’s make no mistake here, I DO want to reach my peaks, but I am starting to become aware that this is not the main driver. And this recent epiphany is significant, because now, no matter how impossible an accomplishment might appear to be, I will be less likely to cave in. It is the realization that rather than working hard to reach a peak, I’ve been actually aiming for a higher peak so that I have the opportunity strive to get there. While it might be rewarding to sit on a plateau celebrating the accomplishment, I know that this won’t determine my happiness because the peaks, no matter how good they makes us feel, are static. It is the motion that truly triggers growth irrespective of the achievement of the final goal.  



 
And I guess that is why I am so enthralled by my profession. I aim to reach a level of mastery in teaching. After all, the kids deserve only the best. Yet I know there is still a long way to go and it is this awareness that makes me feel in my element. I choose to challenge myself to solve this riddle because it fascinates me; it gives me the opportunity to use my ingenuity as I try to crack the codes. It is this dynamic drive that makes me want to wake up most mornings and go to play.

The peak is ultimately a wonderful excuse for us to stretch ourselves and feel truly alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment